Sunday, June 26, 2016

How it all started!

In October of 2015 I was approached about a job opportunity in a new international school in China.  I am an adventurous person so my first response was "sure, I'd be interested to look into it" (knowing my wife would never go for something like this).  The owner of the school happened to be traveling through Utah so Kati and I went to dinner with him, Peter Chan and his wife Joyce.  

The owner of the school, Gary, invited Kati and I to visit the school.  Kati didn't have a passport so I decided to take a free trip to China just to have the experience.  I didn't really anticipate anything coming from it but RDF offered me the position of Head of School (Principal).  I didn't give them an answer but said I would need to think about it and consult my wife.  After I returned home I began to really consider this as an option.  Every day it seemed more and more possible.  Kati and I  had many extended conversations whether we could actually do something like move our whole family to China.  She was adamant at first that it wasn't even a possibility but I felt inside that I couldn't shut the door on the idea.  Over time and many late night talks with Kati, we decided to draft a proposed contract to see what they would be willing to do.  We went back and forth negotiating and finally agreed on terms that were quite favorable.  Somehow, Kati stopped saying no and we accepted the job.  
In my visit in November of 2015 I was on assignment by Kati to take lots of pictures and show her as much of an "American" influence as possible so if we somehow ended up over there she could find somethings that were familiar.  Even up to 3 weeks before flying out she still hasn't said "yes" but she is in full preparations to move overseas:)















No comments:

Post a Comment